Stocks sold off early in the week on an announcement that the Biden administration plans to increase the capital gains tax rate to almost 39.6% from 20% at present. However, Friday’s session seemed to shake this off with most indexes closing close to all time highs or regaining losses from earlier in the week.
If we take a look at historical market data, we will be surprised to know that increases in the capital gains tax rate has had very little effect on the market; with the last two increases resulting in double digital gains over the following six months. However, past history is no guarantee that it will be the same with this tax rate hike which is moving the US closer to rates seen in many European nations. This week’s charts posted by TrendSpider’s Chief Market Analyst, Jake Wujastyk, may shed some light on the direction the markets might be heading over the next few weeks to months.
The $SPY closed the session at $416.25 (-0.12%) bouncing off the March pivot point on the Anchored Volume by Price and the Anchored VWAP from the breakout on April 1st on the daily chart. However, price is still working its way to the pinnacle of an ascending triangle on the weekly which is something to keep an eye on for resolution.
The $QQQ closed the session at $339.2 (-0.06%) firmly above high volume nodes on the volume shelf. On the daily, we do see several gaps below the current price using TrendSpider’s Gap Snake Indicator which is something to keep in mind. Looking at the weekly with the Bollinger Bands, a target of $355 is still resting on the upper range of the band from the current price.
In this blog post, make sure to check out the top 5 TrendSpider charts posted this week on social media; as well as the broad market charts into next week! If you missed Season 3 of The Stock Trading Pit, catch the recaps of every episode on our YouTube Channel.
SPY: Session / Weekly
QQQ: Session / Weekly
IWM: Session / Weekly
Top 5 TrendSpider Posts This Week
Related Blog Posts
Check out our supplemental blog posts below:
- Alerts – Add alerts to your trendlines and indicators with sensitivity.
- Raindrops – Visualize volume and price action in a completely new way by visualizing volume flow throughout a specific time period.
- Conditional Criteria Alerts – Create complex conditions to be met between a mix of lower indicators and price action.
- Multi-time frame analysis (MTFA) – Overlay your chart a secondary timeframe with on trendlines, indicators, and Fibonacci levels.
- Trendline Preferences – Customize your trendlines to automate a consistent trendline drawing strategy.
- Add Watchlist – Create your own watchlist and quickly move through charts with automatic analysis on each!
- Automatic Candlestick Recognition – Automatically input your favorite candlestick patterns into the system and have TrendSpider find all the ones on your current chart!